Writing 3

For my last entry, I want to talk about my final decision before I changed my major this semester from Theatre Education to English.

I have had this document on my flashdrive for many years now, and it had a story idea that I never expanded upon, or resolved, or threw away. I wasn't sure why, but when I actually did access it in January, this stupid story changed my outlook.

This was one about a soldier that just couldn't seem to keep his mouth shut. No matter who he met he argued with and he was able to make an amazing case. He went to war and was captured and talked his way out of captivity. He was a soldier, but he was meant to be a lawyer. He wanted a different life so badly that he couldn't see the obvious.

This story idea actually inspired me. I was in a very bad mood, and felt like getting some frustration out, so I wrote a 2 page story based on this idea. Afterwards, I felt slightly better, but I was still frustrated. This frustration wasn't from anything related to writing or who I am as a person, but was about some work matter that got to me. I went back through a lot of my old writings, including Clockwork, my journals, my reviews on plays, and I came to the conclusion that I wasn't happy with my major and what I wanted to do with my life.

Writing always had made me happy, while theatre was something that just came easy to me. I remember how much passion I had when I was free writing, how it was super difficult but I loved the challenge, and how my head hurt after reading a hard section of a book but my heart was lighter. I love writing, I love english, and I also love theatre, but I can't do that for the rest of my life. I then wrote something for myself, which related to the short story that I had written about the soldier. I was wanting to be a director and teacher so badly I forgot that I was meant to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment